This plant-based organic baby product is perfect for body wash, bubble bath and shampoo. A little goes a long way so you can just pop a squirt of it in while you’re running the bath for a lot of lovely safe bathtime bubbles. We love the thought, effort and research that Green People put into their eco-friendly products. It is made from 85% organic ingredients. The foamy bit, usually an indicator of petro-chemical derived ingredients, is made from yucca extract. This has natural saponins that have foaming properties that naturally boost the effectiveness of other foaming agents. It is calming and soothing, making it perfect for sensitive skin.
The product also contains aloe vera, which is renowned for its soothing and moisturising properties. It is rich in antioxidants and very soothing. The other key ingredient is chamomile, which is anti inflammatory and promotes skin healing.
Unlike many shampoos and bubble baths, the skin-friendly formula retains natural skin and scalp oils, making it the perfect baby care product. It is mild and fragrance free, suitable for sensitive skins and babies who may be prone to eczma or cradle cap. It is SLS-free and silicone free.
What does SLS stand for and what’s wrong with it?
SLS is short for sodium laureth sulphate – this is commonly used in all kinds of products.
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS) is a common surfactant and detergent found in many personal care and cleaning products. While it's generally regarded as safe for use in cosmetics and household items, there are some considerations and potential concerns associated with SLS:
- Skin Irritation: SLS can be irritating to the skin, especially for individuals with sensitive or dry skin. It may strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness or irritation. Some people may experience redness, itching, or a feeling of tightness after using products containing SLS.
- Eye Irritation: SLS can cause eye irritation. If it comes into contact with the eyes, it may lead to redness and discomfort. In some cases, prolonged exposure or contact with high concentrations of SLS can cause more severe eye irritation.
- Drying Effect: SLS has degreasing properties, which means it can remove oils from the skin. While this is useful for cleaning, it can also contribute to dryness, particularly in individuals with already dry or sensitive skin.
- Potential Contaminants: During the manufacturing process, SLS may be contaminated with a substance called 1,4-dioxane, which is a known environmental pollutant and a potential human carcinogen. However, many manufacturers take steps to reduce or eliminate these contaminants in their products.
- Ecotoxicity Concerns: The production and disposal of products containing SLS may have environmental impacts. When these products enter wastewater, they can contribute to water pollution and harm aquatic ecosystems.
What is wrong with silicone in bubble bath?
- Silicone is a synthetic material that isn’t biodegradable.
- It can make your skin feel silky and smooth but it’s not genuinely moisturising. It can build up on the skin and leave it feeling heavy and clogged.
- It can irritate sensitive skin
How can I trust Green People washing products not to be Green Wash?
Green People have been pioneering natural skin care since 1994. The first products were developed by Charlotte Vøhtz, who was looking for a gentle moisturiser that helped her toddler’s eczema. She was shocked to find that a beauty product only needed 1% of natural ingredients to be labelled natural. She developed moisturisers made from natural ingredients. She set up Green People as a company to develop skin-friendly and environmentally-friendly health and beauty products. She was invited onto the board of the Soil Association and helped to develop organic standards for cosmetics.
We like companies like Green People because we know we can trust them to have put the work into making sure their products and their manufacturing are sustainable and have a positive impact on the planet. Even their packaging is made of sustainable plastic from sugar cane – the same material as our Pick and Go picnic sets!