The sustainable story behind these recycled plastic pots
The story behind these pots is one of sustainability and community spirit. All the plastic used is recycled ocean plastic that’s gathered from beach cleans, litter picks and drop-off points across Cornwall. Thanks to the efforts of the Cornish community and local businesses, plastic that would otherwise pollute the oceans and coastlines is given a new lease on life as these nifty little pots.
Made by Matt Nott, founder of One Blue Eye, each recycled plastic pot is a small but meaningful way to reduce plastic pollution and support eco-initiatives.
Once collected, the plastic is cleaned, sorted and processed by hand into these versatile pots… It's rubbish that's not rubbish!
Why choose recycled plastic pots?
With 12 million tonnes of plastic dumped into the ocean every year, it’s important that we all do our bit to help protect the planet and minimise plastic pollution.
By choosing these recycled plastic pots, you are diverting waste from landfills, reducing ocean plastic and helping to clean the beaches of Cornwall. Your purchase helps fund further beach cleans and recycling initiatives, allowing the cycle of sustainability to continue!
There are many benefits to choosing these recycled plastic pots over traditional plastic pots:
- Eco-friendly: They’re made from recycled materials which helps to reduce plastic pollution and the amount of waste that goes to landfill. They’re a sustainable solution for storage pots and plant pots.
- Unique and stylish: These recycled plastic pots are made using a variety of ocean plastic, so each one is totally unique. The patterns and colourations will vary slightly from pot to pot, but their range of colours adds a splash of fun to your home, office or garden.
- Durable and weatherproof: They’re strong, long-lasting and thicker than most traditional plastic pots. It also makes them suitable for both indoor or outdoor usage!
- Supporting local communities: These pots are made by hand in Cornwall with plastic waste collected from the local community there. This means you’ll be supporting a local eco-entrepreneur and helping to clean our beaches and ocean.
How to use recycled plastic pots
While these pots have no drainage hole, they are ideal for holding succulents, small plants and cuttings that need less frequent watering. However, you can easily drill your own drainage hole if you want to use them for live plants that are a little more thirsty - we recommend using a drill bit with a diameter of 5mm or 6mm.
Get creative! Place a block of Oasis inside one of these pots and insert stems to make a miniature flower arrangement for tables, shelves and countertops. For some hassle-free greenery in your home or office, why not add in some faux florals or artificial plants to brighten the space? Don’t worry plant parents, you’ll never have to feel guilty for forgetting about them again!
But there’s more to these recycled pots than just plants… Place one on a tabletop to hold pens, makeup brushes or kitchen utensils. Use them in the bathroom for cotton balls, toothpicks or other small toiletries. Let them decorate your window sill with a little plant or freshen up your keys and coins bowl. The possibilities are endless with these colourful recycled storage pots!
Use them in a variety of ways, here are a few ideas:
- Plant pots: Use them to grow succulents, cacti and other small plants, or opt for artificial plants for a maintenance-free option. These hardy recycled pots are also great for outdoor use on patios, decking and windowsills!
- Storage containers: Use them as quirky storage pots to store pens and utensils, brushes and other small items like cotton buds.
- Desk organisers: Use them to organise your desk and keep your workspace tidy, or clear the clutter on table tops with a simple but stylish eco-friendly solution.
- Decorative pieces: Fill them with pebbles and shells to create a unique and stylish display, or let your pots hold faux flowers for a decorative display.
What other products are in the recycled range?
In addition to these fantastic recycled plastic pots, we offer a wide selection of eco-friendly and sustainable products made from recycled materials. Like the pots, all the items in our recycled range are affordable, good quality products that we use ourselves and are confident in recommending.
For around the home, choose from practical recycled plastic laundry baskets, waste paper bins and our range of kitchen drainers, washing up bowls and drawer organisers made from 100% recycled household plastics. Don’t forget to keep snacks fresh in our recycled plastic lunch sets or food containers!