How do I use these filters?
These coffee filters are super easy to use. Just fold the coffee filter along the side and bottom seams so that it fits properly into your coffee maker or V60 coffee dripper. Once placed, add one tablespoon of finely ground coffee for each cup and continue to make your coffee as usual. Hey presto, you’ve got your caffeine fix! We would always recommend using sustainably sourced Fairtrade coffee such as Origin Coffee. Don’t forget, once you’ve finished with your filter, take it out along with the used ground coffee and add the whole thing to your compost.
Want to try some of our other If You Care products? Click here to see the whole range!
What makes the If You Care Unbleached Coffee Filters more eco-friendly than others currently on the market?
From the production to the disposal, these unbleached coffee filters have been made with environmental considerations at the forefront of their creation. But how can that be? It is quite simple really…
- FSC certified and sustainably sourced – the FSC is an organisation that promotes responsible and sustainable forest management through a rigorous certification system of forests and forest products. When you buy these coffee filters, you know they are from forests that comply with these environmental and social standards.
- Completely unbleached and TCF – you’ll instantly be able to recognise bleached coffee filters as they are white which means they have been treated with chlorine, whereas these coffee filters are brown. That shows you they are totally chlorine-free (TCF). The bleaching is purely for aesthetic reasons but the effects of doing it can be damaging to both animals and humans. Chlorine-bleached paper is warmed creating a nasty by-product called dioxin that has been linked with reproductive and developmental issues, damage of the defence system and with the interference of hormones. This chemical often finds its way back into our waterways either during its production or after its disposal and can cause completely unnecessary damage not only to humans but also to species that live in oceans, lakes and rivers. The packaging is chlorine-free too.
- Entirely plastic-free - there is not one little bit of this paper that has plastic in it. Nor the packaging either!
- 100% biodegradable and compostable – thanks to the paper of the coffee filters being unbleached, TCF and plastic-free, the coffee filters are 100% biodegradable and compostable which includes the coffee granules too! This means you can put them in your garden, take them to a compost facility or even put them in your home compost. They will completely break down into the soil, back into the basic amino acids that a plant can use to grow!
- Recyclable packaging – not only has the packaging been sourced from FSC certified forests but it is also completely recyclable so make sure you add it to your recycle bin once you've finished you pack. It'll be a sad, sad day...but don't worry, you can always order more.